Photo courtesy of Art
Joan Crawford’s Rules of Style:
1. Find your own style and have the courage to stick to it.
2. Choose your clothes for your way of life.
3. Make your wardrobe as versatile as an actress. It should be able to play many roles.
4. Find your happiest colours―the ones that make you feel good.
5. Care for your clothes like the good friends they are!
-Joan Crawford, on personal style, in Fashionista: A Century of Style Icons by Simone Werle
In an attempt to make some strides in the achievement of my 2011 New Year’s Fashion Resolutions and to learn more about fashion and fashion history I decided to read Fashionista: A Century of Style Icons by Simone Werle (next up is Infinite Variety: The Life and Legend of the Marchesa Casati by Scot D. Ryersson and Michael Orlando Yaccarino). While I didn’t agree with all of Werle’s choices for style icons (Scarlet Johansson? Style icon? Really?) I did agree with the inclusion of women like Josephine Baker, Jackie O., Grace Jones, Audrey Hepburn and silver screen star Joan Crawford.
Fashionista: A Century of Style Icons is a nice, informative, quick read if you’re like for a brief background of the oft-referenced style icons.